Everything Webkinz

A Place to Chat about Everything Webkinz! News, Trading, and More!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Who likes to read?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Polarity

PostSubject: Who likes to read?   Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:26 pm

Ok, so who likes or loves to read? I do!

I used to go to the library when I was younger, and would always have overdue books. Eventually I learned I could go to the bookstore and buy them. That way, I could keep them and read them over and over whenever I wanted. That's what I tended to do with all the library books I got.

I read the most when I'm on vacation, and when I'm traveling. My favorite authors are James Patterson and Fern Michaels. I am currently reading the Twilight series. I got all four books on Tuesday, the day my vacation started and became addicted fast!!! I flew through the first book, I just couldn't put it down. Even at night, I would find myself falling asleep reading it and had to force myself to stop. I had already seen the movie, (which I really, really enjoyed even though at first I wasn't sure if I would or not) and enjoyed comparing the two. I am on the second book now, and can't wait to start reading it again. I also can't wait to see the movie!

What are your favorite authors, books, etc?

Even if you don't like to read, post here and tell what you would rather do with your time instead of reading, since we all have different interests. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: Who likes to read?   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:44 am

My favorite book would have to be Into the Firestorm. Don't know the author Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rockstar

PostSubject: Re: Who likes to read?   Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:52 am

I like to read the books and then go see the movies... I like seeing how diffrent they are from each other!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Polarity

PostSubject: Re: Who likes to read?   Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:17 pm

Andrew wrote:
My favorite book would have to be Into the Firestorm. Don't know the author Smile

I'll have to look that one up...I love finding new books, and seeing if they are my taste in books. I love finding new books to read! Smile

rockstar wrote:
I like to read the books and then go see the movies... I like seeing how diffrent they are from each other!

Oh, I love doing that! I did that with To Kill A Mockingbird. Loved the book, absolutely hated the movie. It was too different than the book and events were out of order.
That's also what I did with Twilight recently, obviously...lol
Still haven't read Harry Potter and done that with those books and movies, but I will! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vcs28

PostSubject: Re: Who likes to read?   Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:30 am

BFF, you have hit on a topic near and dear to my heart - reading. I have always LOVED to read, it's such a joy to pick up a book and get engrossed in it! Unfortunately due to the retinal disease in my eyes, I am no longer able to read very well and have to rely on audio books. I'm waiting for the Twilight audio books to become available at the LBPH (library for the blind and Physically Handicapped). They have the books on order and I have put them on reserve for when they come in. I did get book 1 which I loved. I didn't know there's a 4th book though, I'll have to see if the library has that one even listed as being on order. It usually takes a few months!
Anyway, my big book series growing up were Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew. When I was in my mi-teens, the first Sweet Valley High book came out and I started buying the series from the very first book. I got to about 28 books before quittying buying them. As I got older, I started reading Star Trek books and collecting them. I have about 50 or so of them, mostly unread, that I don't want to get rid of in case my girls want to read them later! I also have lots of Barbara Cartland romances. I LOVE historical, English romances, with the Lords, Ladies, Dukes, Earls etc etc. I loved the Chronicles of Narnia series, but never finished the whole series until I got them about 5 years ago from the LBPH to listen to! I've read all the Harry Potter books. Thankfully was able to actually READ them, rather than listen to them, but I've also listened to them on tape. In fact I just finished listening to Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince for the 2nd time. Just got book 7 from the library to listen to next. Currently I'm listening to "Wildflowers", the last book in a series by Robin Jones Gunn and wonderful Christian author. I've listened to her Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen series as well and highly recomment them (especially for females). I told you this was a favourite topic! My eldest daughter is also and avid reader and reads well above her grade level. DD2 is learning to read and doing well. Can't wait till DD3 starts reading too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rockstar

PostSubject: Re: Who likes to read?   Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:41 am

Polarity wrote:

rockstar wrote:

Oh, I love doing that! I did that with To Kill A Mockingbird. Loved the book, absolutely hated the movie. It was too different than the book and events were out of order.
Still haven't read Harry Potter and done that with those books and movies, but I will! Smile

Haha Harry Potter is a great series!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Polarity

PostSubject: Re: Who likes to read?   Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:12 am

vcs28 wrote:
BFF, you have hit on a topic near and dear to my heart - reading. I have always LOVED to read, it's such a joy to pick up a book and get engrossed in it! Unfortunately due to the retinal disease in my eyes, I am no longer able to read very well and have to rely on audio books. I'm waiting for the Twilight audio books to become available at the LBPH (library for the blind and Physically Handicapped). They have the books on order and I have put them on reserve for when they come in. I did get book 1 which I loved. I didn't know there's a 4th book though, I'll have to see if the library has that one even listed as being on order. It usually takes a few months!
Anyway, my big book series growing up were Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew. When I was in my mi-teens, the first Sweet Valley High book came out and I started buying the series from the very first book. I got to about 28 books before quittying buying them. As I got older, I started reading Star Trek books and collecting them. I have about 50 or so of them, mostly unread, that I don't want to get rid of in case my girls want to read them later! I also have lots of Barbara Cartland romances. I LOVE historical, English romances, with the Lords, Ladies, Dukes, Earls etc etc. I loved the Chronicles of Narnia series, but never finished the whole series until I got them about 5 years ago from the LBPH to listen to! I've read all the Harry Potter books. Thankfully was able to actually READ them, rather than listen to them, but I've also listened to them on tape. In fact I just finished listening to Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince for the 2nd time. Just got book 7 from the library to listen to next. Currently I'm listening to "Wildflowers", the last book in a series by Robin Jones Gunn and wonderful Christian author. I've listened to her Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen series as well and highly recomment them (especially for females). I told you this was a favourite topic! My eldest daughter is also and avid reader and reads well above her grade level. DD2 is learning to read and doing well. Can't wait till DD3 starts reading too!

There are 4 books to Twilight, and she had started the 5th, but part of the manuscript was leaked, so she put it on hold indefinitely. Although the other day when I went to her website, it looks like she may publish it after all, or maybe put pieces online. I know you can read part of the manuscript online at her website (the part that was leaked...she knew people would go looking for it, and wisely decided to post it there because she knew people would be curious and go looking for it anyway, as I said), and then she has a Chapter One on there now, that I'm assuming is possibly not from that leaked manuscript? I don't know, as I don't want to read it yet if I am not at that book yet.

I hope there is a 5th, eventually. I haven't been able to really start on the third yet, I think I gave myself too big a headache reading the first two books so fast...lol...I read them in warp speed because I literally couldn't put them down.

I read Nancy Drew, I think I read a book or two of Trixie Belden, the SVH series...I had tons of those, I even got some of the ones where they were in college (SVH). I didn't like how it changed in the later books, though, esp. when she started writing in their senior year of High School. I never was into Star Trek, I'll have to check out Barbara Cartland, though. I also read the Sweet Dreams teenage romance books they used to put out in the late 80's, too. I loved those! I haven't started getting into the historical romances, but I do want to start some of those. I read the first Narnia book, I never read any of the others, I should. I know they have to be good. I have seen the movies of Harry Potter, and want to read the books. I'll have to find the Robin Jones Gunn books and read those. I always loved the magazine "Guideposts", have you heard of that? Marion Bond West wrote for them, and has 4 kids, I think...she wrote a book about one of her twin sons and the struggles he has had with bad influences in his life. Wonderful book!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Polarity

PostSubject: Re: Who likes to read?   Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:14 am

rockstar wrote:
Polarity wrote:

rockstar wrote:

They really are great movies, and I know, I need to read the books. I will one of these days, I can't wait to see what happens at the end of the series! The movies are great, so I know the books have to be even better!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rockstar

PostSubject: Re: Who likes to read?   Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Polarity wrote:
rockstar wrote:
Polarity wrote:

rockstar wrote:

They really are great movies, and I know, I need to read the books. I will one of these days, I can't wait to see what happens at the end of the series! The movies are great, so I know the books have to be even better!

The books are SO much better!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vcs28

PostSubject: Re: Who likes to read?   Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:03 pm

Polarity wrote:
rockstar wrote:
Polarity wrote:

rockstar wrote:

Hope you're having a great vacation (what's left of it!). Yeah, I read the sweet dreams books toom, loved them. There were also Wildfire ones which I read. I have a bunch of the Sweet Valley University books too, but never have gotten trhrough them and with my vision as it is, I don't know that I ever will Sad
It's so cool we've read so much of the same stuff! I've never heard of Guideposts. Now I'm limited pretty much to what I can get from the library. I'm well into Harry Potter 7 audio book and am enjoying it thoroughly!
Well, I'm nearly done with the spaghetti for dinner, so gotta scoot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who likes to read?   

Back to top Go down

Who likes to read?
Page 1 of 1